Monday 4 June 2012

Finished Cakes and Scones

Yesterday we went to a Jubilee Party held by our lovely neighbours, The Royals.

I made a Victoria Sponge based on a recipe found at http://mennonitegirlscancook.ca



1 cup all purpose flour

1.5 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup sugar

1 cup butter (I used salted but didn't add extra salt)

2 large eggs

1/4 cup milk (plus extra if needed)

1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

Bake at 350*F for 15 minutes or until cake tester is clear




The butter icing is just icing sugar sifted and soft butter with a few drops of vanilla. No weighing for this, I just add until I am happy.

With a generous layer of Strawberry Jam.

The sugarcraft queen was made using fondant, sugarcraft or rollable icing (whatever it is called where you are from). I have actually been asked to do a "how-to" so I will do this soon I promise.




The boys cake.......




....was made using half the ingredients above but a couple of spoons of cocoa powder. The butter icing on top was same as above but with a big chunk of chocolate melted in (it makes it fudge-like). Again the decorations they made were from sugarcraft/fondant etc.

The scones were English Scones, Blueberry Canadian Scones and Cranberry and Orange Canadian Scones.



Canadian Scones Recipe for the Blueberry ones. For the Cranberry and Orange, I used 1 cup dried cranberries (fresh would be better) and the grated rind of one orange plus a generous squeeze of half an orange.

The English ones were actually made by my Huffle but the Recipe we kind of made up, of our old English Recipe with a bit of Canadian. This is it.



450g all purposes flour

100 g salted butter

1/2 pint milk

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon baking powder

400*F 8-10 mins.




I would love to know if you use these recipes and how you got on.









3 comments:

Vic at Blossom and Snowflakes said...

Those cakes look fab! Hope you enjoyed your celebrations. We had a garden party/BBQ yesterday. Vic:)

Clare said...

Love the HRH sugar-craft. sounds like you had a great party with The Royals (complete with special guest). Will definitely give the cranberry and orange scone recipe a go as they look scrummy.

Jumbleberries xx

Kandi said...

I just love your jubilee cake, gorgeous! As the moderator for the June Monthly Make I hope it's ok if I borrow the photo of your monthly make to do a blog post? I will link back to you here of course. Any problems please let me know x